Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Being Prachi :)


"oh ho niki beta kab doctor banegi..hum line mein hai"
"are niki polish my teeth yaar"
These are the lines I hear every time I meet my relatives, cousins or friends!!
It sounds cool because everyone just treats me as if I have done something really big (like rocket science or something though dentistry is no less!!)
But these expectations are scary and its really not fun being the "only one" in your family.
Like for instance when my grandmother fell ill and was taken to a hospital I was expected to read all the reports, interpret them (ECG, blood reports etc). Fine I can read them but I  am referring to some really complicated stuff here.
Damn I am not even a dentist yet,  so how am I suppose  to read all those reports and answer weird questions!!
And equally annoying is when people show me their teeth in public places like marriages, restaurants etc etc.

I don't want to crib here but yeah its irritating. I do love all the attention and affection but I am just a small kiddo out there in this big world :)

11 comments:

  1. dentistry ?? even the biology at school level gave me goosebumps..!! which college ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree here...i hated bio..but i somehow managed to survive!!
    subharti dental college!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah... i used to fail regularly in the subject..!! frenz ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. he he.. that's the mindset of the people.. even when I was a child I used to hear such comments from my relatives.... in fact to be honest I also have felt like I'm someone special whenever I stay in between them.... :P.... though it might not be true and I know it.. its a nice feel at some times but mostly irritating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. join d gang

    even being a physio- im supposed to read ecgs ,cardiograms-worst of all- ultra sounds

    we do interpret all this better than a layman- even can see @ read on our own- but hello- we r actually not experienced?no?

    showing teeth publically is bad.as bad as seeing the knees of my heavy relatives who lift their saree upto knee level- even at marriges..sheesh..
    how do they expect me 2 trat them- with a magic wand?when all they need is weight loss?

    is every knee pain arthritis?
    how am i 2 knw n relate clinically- by just seeing-forget palpating-not even touching?

    my full sypaties with u dear..and i do enjoy the attention too- though i wish they dont expose in public..he he

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really wonder to think of studying such difficult subjects though they let u knw abut ur body as well , anyways really appreciate u to be the only doctor in our family........... so doctor may God bless u to bless everyone teeth impeccably..........

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey read ur blog for the first time ...but being prachi was really good one and same is the irony here and the peole(includes realtives and friends)that each profession have its own domain expertise ....being in dentistry u must be having a clinical experience so smwhere u can manage ...but a poor like me who dont know even how to inject an injection is also expected to ADVISE wht only doctor shud give ...being in Pahram research we are the people who know best of the medicine part ..but diagnossiand therapt is where medicos have the expertise ...huhhh...god... who would make them understand ...but smtime its embarassing !

    ReplyDelete